- Social Media
- Active Citizenship
- Good Giving
- Corporate Responsibility
- Be Fearless
Its' December 11th. It's time to put up the Christmas tree and get the gifts to go underneath. It's a great time of year, but it can be a bit stressful, especially on the wallet. Want to get more out of your money? This year, when buying presents for your loved ones, look for gifts that give back. The gift will be more meaningful and you can feel good about those dollars spent.
And, if you're a little behind on the gift giving - don't panic. My colleagues have been posting their amazing ideas for gifts that give back over the last couple of weeks and there is more to come.
Today, I am going to help you answer that really tough question: what do you buy for the ladies in your life? Whether you need a gift for your mom, your sister, your girlfriend or your grandma, you're in luck. There are tons of great organizations selling beautiful gifts that benefit charity. And let's face it, we ladies like pretty things :)
Because there are so many choices, I've picked out some of my favorite charitable gift options to share with you.
All women take pride in their jewelry collection. For all the guys out there looking to impress that special someone, you can NEVER go wrong with a great piece of jewelry. This is your chance to show her your sensitive side by buying jewelry that benefits a great cause.
- Looking for a fun and affordable piece of jewelry to buy your best friend or sister? Check out Amnesty International's Shaping the Future Bracelet. This is a great bracelet that benefits a great cause. Hand-crafted by women of the Analizadoras Cooperative, profits help send their children to school.
- If you're shopping for your girlfriend, fiance or wife and are willing to spend a little more, I say go for the gold! H.E.L.P Malawi, a nonprofit organization that strives to bring Help, Love, Education and Protection to children in Malawi and around the world, has some beautiful rings for sale on their website. 100% of the proceeds go to H.E.L.P projects. My favorite? Nana's ring for H.E.L.P.
- Every woman with jewelry needs a way to take it with her when she travels. I love this fabric jewelry case from the Breast Cancer Site. Proceeds help fund mammograms.
Home goods are a great thing to consider for mom or grandma if you don't want to worry about picking out jewelry or accessories. Also a nice thing to consider for that friend who just rented a new apt or moved into a new home and is trying to decorate.
- Indego Africa has a great collection of fair trade African baskets hand crafted in Rwanda. 100% of profits from these baskets are returned to the artisans for training on long-term skills. I absolutely love the modern, clean look of the plateau basket and the agaseke basket.
- Ever meet a girl who doesn't like pillows? Benefit female artisans around the world by purchasing from the amazing collection of pillows on Nest. One of my favorites? The Licorice Eco Art pillow!
The classic T-shirt:
Who doesn't love a hip tee? Make mom update her '80s collection with some cool do-gooder tees or buy some for your friends!
- Amnesty International has a nice collection of tees, like this fitted, distressed red amnesty logo t-shirt and long-sleeve AI emblem shirt.
- In addition to great home goods, Nest also has an amazing collection of T-shirts and other clothing. I'm putting this cute, classic white v-neck on my Christmas list!
I'm a huge fan of the Pashmina. Wear one around your shoulders, over a cocktail dress, or bunch it up to use as a scarf. They are the perfect gift for ANY lady in your life. Ladies of all ages are sure to get great use out of a classic pashmina.
- This year, buy those Pashminas from the Breast Cancer Site's online store and money from your purchase will go towards funding mammograms - a cause near and dear to ladies everywhere.
- Want a ribbon on your Pashmina? Shopkomen.com sells Bling Ribbon Pashminas in three colors. These pashminas will help your woman keep warm and show she cares. 25% of your purchase price will benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
Flowers, sweet stuff and more
Not sure what to buy? Cookies and chocolates are a great option for work friends, someone you don't know that well, or for the hostess of the holiday party you are attending.
- Baking for Good sells all-natural baked goods and gives 15% of every purchase to a charity that you choose. These holiday treats are adorable!
- Check out giftback.com for a wide array of gifts, including some yummy edible options. Still at a loss? Check out their selection of flowers, home goods and spa gift baskets. You're bound to find something. And the best part? 10% of your purchase on giftback.com goes to the charity of YOUR choice.
- Have a friend with a pet? I couldn't resist throwing this adorable pink dog leash from Global Goods Partners onto the list. Proceeds from sales help support their worldwide partners.
Don't think the lady in your life needs a physical gift to unwrap? There are a ton of meaningful ways you can contribute to charity in her name.
- Buy her a charity gift card on Network for Good. This gives her the chance to make a contribution (with your money, of course) to the charity she cares most about.
- Help one woman give to another by making a donation to the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center. A gift of $20 will help a woman with breast, ovarian or cervical cancer purchase a wig.
I hope these are useful! As you start exploring all the great charitable gift options online, please be sure to share your ideas with us as well. Happy Holidays!