- Social Media
- Active Citizenship
- Good Giving
- Corporate Responsibility
- Be Fearless
I think it’s safe to say that every successful business owes its well-being to its customers – and more likely than not, those customers come from the surrounding community. With this in mind, many companies are taking a very intentional look at their impact on the community and are finding new ways to partner and help a neighborhood thrive.
After all, when customers see a local business supporting a youth program in their community or promoting environmental sustainability, they are more likely to spend their hard-earned dollars with those businesses that have a track record of giving back.
Think back as you set out on your day today - did you come across causes that made you stop and think, and perhaps even act? For me, my day started with a grande skim mocha at Starbucks. No matter your feelings about the coffee company, they have a remarkable way of making each of their stores support causes important to the local community. To demonstrate this, just before completing my order this morning I was asked if I’d like to donate a pound of coffee to the AIDS ward at a community hospital here in San Francisco.
My colleagues and I often share stories of our encounters with companies like this who are taking creative steps to improve the communities in which they operate. With that in mind, we thought we’d begin to highlight some of those stories on our blog. While it would be difficult, if not impossible, to write about all of the companies that donate their time and money so generously every year, we hope to use this section of our site to shine a spotlight on companies who recognize the importance of doing well by doing good.
We hope you’ll share stories of companies that are doing great things in your community. If you're on Twitter you can tag your favorite examples of companies that care with the hashtag #CSR and join the larger conversation on Twitter around corporate social responsibility. And, if you're not on Twitter don't worry, you can drop us a line on the comment section below, we'd love to hear what's happening in your community.
Here's a list of some of our staff favorites to help get you warmed up:
- @theshackman: I'm a supporter of Aveda's products, due to their strong commitment to & genuine respect for the environment. Beauty is as Beauty Does. #CSR
- @kivie: TOMS shoes! For every pair purchased, TOMS donates another pair to a kid in need. That 1:1 ratio is rare! http://tinyurl.com/dkapxe #CSR
- @mstohner: I love that at Whole Foods I always have a way to give back while shopping – whether it’s by going green or by donating upon checkout. #CSR
- @sokunthea: Loews Hotels started Adopt-a-Farmer initiative - buying local to support & enhance local farming communities. http://tinyurl.com/d3uqt5 #CSR
- @briancf: Hyundai is letting customers return their car within 1 year if they lose their jobs! http://tinyurl.com/77s9r2 #CSR
- @socialcitizen: To help nonprofits survive massive slump in donations, love that Zipcar in SF is letting charity workers drive free http://ow.ly/11W0 #CSR
- @broksas: Love Red Robin restaurant - great kids menu & their foundation has strong community and employee give back programs http://ow.ly/11WT #CSR