- Social Media
- Active Citizenship
- Good Giving
- Corporate Responsibility
- Be Fearless
by Sarah Koch
Last week, I was fortunate enough to attend and present at the #GivingTuesday Best Practices Summit at the United Nations Foundation’s new Washington, D.C., office. The event was designed to allow #GivingTuesday partners to compare notes, share...
by Allyson Burns and Emily Yu
We went, we saw, we conquered. SXSW 2014 Interactive is now officially closed, but there is still much to be done—from cementing new partnerships, and applying what we have learned, to sharing new ideas with our colleagues. Here is a brief recap of...
by Allyson Burns and Emily Yu
We’re packing our suitcases and heading down to Austin this week for SXSW Interactive—a five-day festival that showcases a mix of digital creativity, emerging technology and unique networking events. From March 6 through 11, members of the Case...
by Huffington Post
At the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, we often think about philanthropy in terms of its direct impact on others -- such as how many people were fed or how many children were vaccinated. While we often focus on how to achieve the greatest level...
by Jean Case
Last week, we marked a monumental achievement for the nonprofit sector. Network for Good, the online giving portal launched nearly 15 years ago, has now processed more than $1 billion in online donations. Since its inception in 2001, the Network for...
Everydayhero was one of the earliest companies involved in online giving when it launched in 2007. Now the Australian site, which offers a peer-to-peer fundraising platform, as well as branded fundraising pages for charities, is coming to the U...
by Barbara Van Dahlen, Ph.D.
As 2014 gets underway, our military is preparing to mark the official end of the Afghanistan war as all but a handful of U.S. troops are set to come home by year’s end. This is by far the longest war that America has ever fought and the cost has...
by Derrick Feldmann
When I started my graduate studies, the word “philanthropy” appeared often. Through textbooks I learned the traditional definition of philanthropy: Love of humankind in the form of time, talent and treasure. This high-level concept has seen...
At the Case Foundation, we believe good data on both financial and social returns is critical to scaling impact investing. So we were encouraged to see two reports released this fall that provide new insights on promising financial returns from a...
5 Fast Facts
These can be attributed to the Giving USA 2011 report and article found here.
- Total charitable giving has increased in current dollars in every year since tracking began in 1954 except in: 1987, 2008, and 2009.
- Total charitable giving was 2% of Gross Domestic Product in 2010, a decline from the level of 2.3% seen in 2000 and 2005.
- There are more than 1.28M registered 501(c)(3) organizations with the IRS. But in June 2011, 275K lost their tax-exempt status for failure to file legally required documents.
- Family foundations provided approximately 48% of all grants by independent, community, and operating foundations in 2010.
- The largest pledged gift in 2010 was $250 million worth of art and furniture from George M. and Linda H. Kaufman to the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C.